Researchers are finding more and more that gut health leads to overall health. A healthy gut has been linked to lower rates of diabetes, depression, obesity, and fatigue. In other words, both your mental and physical health are dependent upon having a healthy gut. So in an effort to help improve your overall gut health, here are six things to start doing today.
- Avoid Antibiotics and NSAIDs – Antibiotics and NSAIDs can destroy gut flora or change their composition. This flora aids in digestion, and is a large part of what determines how healthy you are.
- Avoid Carbs, Sugar, and Processed Foods – These foods also destroy gut flora. There are also many people who have allergies to these (wheat, gluten, sugar, etc.) who don’t know about the allergy. This can not only lead to a destruction of gut flora, but also to a destruction of the gut barrier.
- Eat Yogurt – Finding a good yogurt full of probiotics (most Greek yogurts are best), will help rebuild your gut flora and can also help to heal your gut wall. Yogurt will do more to aid in digestion than anything else you will find.
- Eat Prebiotic Foods – These are fiber-rich foods which feed the bacteria in your gut. These include things like: bananas, almonds, garlic, mushrooms, and onions. These foods are great for overall health, helping by not only improving gut health, but helping in things like circulation and heart health, delivering vitamins, and helping with hair and nail strength.
- Eat More Fermented Foods – Foods like sauerkraut, kimchi, miso, and tempeh all aid in digestion, rebuild gut flora, and feed intestinal bacteria. These foods are cousins to yogurt in how they help, though they generally will not have the live, active cultures that yogurt do, so they will be less likely to replenish lost bacteria.
- De-stress – Stress and fatigue are one of the worst culprits of destroying your gut health. Find the stressors in your life and eliminate or control them. Begin running or doing yoga to help mitigate the effects of stress, and try to get a good night of sleep to reduce symptoms of fatigue. By fixing these parts of your life, you will fix your overall gut health.
These are the cornerstone to your gut health. By following these steps, you will begin to repair your gut and improve your overall health.